Tuesday 3 January 2012

Film Review: It's A Boy Girl Thing

  • Name: It's A Boy Girl Thing
  • Released: UK - 26 December 2006
  • Genres: Comedy, Romance
  • Duration: 95 mins
  • Director: Nick Hurran
  • Writer: Geoff Deane
  • Stars: Samaire Armstrong, Kevin Zegers & Sherry Miller
 My Review:
 
Although this film was the sort of typical American, high school film, I think that it was very cleverly put together and thought through. Let me explain myself:
 
 On the SURFACE, to people that are watching this film and purely focusing on what's going on the SURFACE, it is pretty similar to many American films like Hot Chick. However, Nick Hurran and his team have obviously thought the symbolism of many things included within the shooting of the film and the impact that is has on the overall performance of the piece. For instance, their houses; when they first meet, they are both in their bedrooms with a clump of trees separating them showing the distance between them. During the film, they use the tree to visit each other using it almost as a bridge into each others lives, if you like. By the end of the film, I wont tell you what happens because that would spoil it, but they are both standing by a tree in the middle of their houses showing their new found friendship, closeness and the journey they have come on since the start of the film. I thought that this was very clever and shows the amount of time and effort that was put into planning out every bit of this film.
  
Although I thought this was good, I think that this film follows the stereotypical casting of a film of this genre. A geeky, workaholic girl, a hunky, hot, quaterback and the school plastic; typically a blonde, thick, bimbo. Even though it works because it's this genre, I would have liked it to have stepped out of the usual stencil; I think Deane and Hurran played it a bit safe.
  
The casting was average; nothing amazing about it but I think Zegers and Armstrong could have had more chemistry. It seemed to me that however hunky Kevin Zegers is, he struggled a bit to play the tough, American guy. The first scene he aced but I feel that it went downhill from there on. Also, I think that although Armstrong pulled off a very convincing male I think that she was very lead female when the two when they were together which I think should have been reigned in a bit.
 
One thing that I MUST mention which I don't usually take into account with films ( I know I should!) is the choice of music. I thought in this film, the choices made were excellent. I loved the use of James Blunt's 'You're Beautiful in the last scene. Really added to and highlighted the general feeling at the end.
 
 
Overall, I think that this was a very successful film as well as a very funny and easy watch.
 
 
 
Overall Rating: 3.8/5
 
 
Many Thanks to IMDb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment